Debbie Schum waited a long time to receive the cremated ashes of her friend, LoraLee Johnson, from Sunset Mesa Funeral Directors in Montrose, Colorado. When she did, she felt relieved to finally take them home with her. But then, she got a call from the FBI.
It turned out that the owner of the funeral home, Megan Hess, and her parents Shirley and Alan Koch had been operating a body brokering business — without permission from anyone.
We speak with Debbie Schum, Elena Saavedra Buckley, Melissa Connor, and Danielle McCarthy. To learn more, check out Saavedra Buckley’s article in High Country News, “None of this happened the way you think it did.”
For a transcript of this episode, send us an email with the episode name and number.
- Article Get $50 off your first order of $100 or more a Article.com/criminal
- Betabrand Get 20% off at betabrand.com/criminal
- BetterHelp Get 10% off your first month with discount code CRIMINAL when you fill out a questionnaire at betterhelp.com/criminal
- Everlane Get free shipping on your first order at everlane.com/criminal
- Native Deodorant For 20% off your first purchase, visit nativedeodorant.com and use promo code CRIMINAL during checkout.
- Quip Go to GetQuip.com/Criminal right now and get your first refill pack FREE with a QUIP electric toothbrush.
- The RealReal Shop in-store, online, or download the app, and get 20% off select items with the promo code REAL.
- Simplisafe Protect your home today and get free shipping at SimpliSafe.com/CRIMINAL
- Squarespace Try Squarespace.com/criminal for a free trial and when you’re ready to launch, use the offer code CRIMINAL to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.